Graduate Scholars Program
The MAOP Graduate Scholars Program (GS) assists with graduate school financing in exchange for assistance to MAOP Administration. Graduate students assist with programming implementation such as mentoring to undergraduate students and assisting with workshops for the undergraduates.
MAOP partners with the graduate student's academic department to support students. In order to be considered as a Graduate Scholar, the student's academic department must be willing to also provide financial support in the form of assistantship funding and/or tuition. The graduate student's department provides the work assignment. Awards typically range between $6,000 and $16,000 per academic year. The awards may be renewed on a yearly basis subject to the availability of funds.
Graduate scholars are selected on the basis of their undergraduate academic performance, an essay focusing upon their commitment to academic diversity at Virginia Tech and admission to the Graduate School.
Requirements for Graduate Student Scholars:
- Maintain a 3.0 cumulative GPA
- Attend and participate in the monthly Graduate Scholar workshops
- Remain engaged with the MAOP program
Before applicants begin the application:
- Please have the name and email of two faculty references. References will receive a separate email with the recommendation form to fill out once your completed application is submitted.
- Respond to the following questions in 500 words: What contributions might you bring to help create a widely diverse community at Virginia Tech on your chosen academic program?
The 2021-2022 Graduate Scholars Application is now open please click here to apply. The deadline to apply will be Thursday, April 15, 2021.