Multicultural Academic Opportunities Program
Please Note: Multicultral Academic Opportunities Program (MAOP) has moved to the Media Annex Building and no longer resides in Femoyer Hall. We are now at 130 Otey Street.
Message from MAOP Director regarding Fall 2020 and COVID-19:
Due to the campus modifications put in place for the Fall 2020 semester, the Multicultural Academic Opportunities Program (MAOP) will be working both online as well as in the office. Once again, please note our office location has changed. We are now in the Media Annex located at 130 Otey Street.
If you have any concerns or need to reach someone within MAOP, please email that person directly or email@example.com or by calling our office at 540-231-5023, Monday – Friday from 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. Thank you for working with us as we support the health and safety of our students, co-workers, and community.
All the Best, Monica Hunter
Fall 2020 MAOP Workshops
- September 29th, 5:30 - 6:30 PM
Career Fair Preparation and Resume Writing
- October 1st, 12:00-1:00 PM
Food for Thought: "Let's Talk About Voting" with VT Engage
- October 8th, 6:00 - 7:00 PM
- October 22nd, 6:00 - 7:00 PM
in collaboration with Academic Advising Initiatives
Zoom link to join the workshop: https://virginiatech.zoom.us/my/tswan70
- October 26th, 6:00 - 7:00 PM
*Advanced Registration Required
in collaboration with VT Engage
- November 4th, 5:15 - 6:15 PM
Learning to Press Pause
*Advanced Registration Required
in collaboration with Hokie Wellness
- November 11th, 5:30 - 6:30 PM
Graduate Student Panel
*All workshops will take place via Zoom. The Zoom link will be shared before the workshop.*
*All Undergraduate Scholars and LSAMP students must attend 3 workshops this semester to fulfill part of their requirements.
****In the event that you cannot attend the scheduled monthly meeting workshop, you will need to find a substitute activity (i.e. academic workshop/presentation or lecture) to take the place of the workshop you missed.
This form must be and filled out in its entirety, in order for the absence to count. Please click below to download the form.
Supporting diverse students
Through partnerships with various academic colleges and departments at Virginia Tech, other colleges and universities, governmental entities, and various organizations, MAOP provides support for diverse students who demonstrate a clear commitment to the pursuit of academic excellence.
We assist both undergraduate and graduate students in their transition to Virginia Tech and provides academic guidance, emotional, social, and financial support until they graduate. For undergraduates interested in graduate education in the future, MAOP provides opportunities for students to engage in summer research.
MAOP is committed to:
- Creating an environment that supports and retains students to graduation from Virginia Tech
- Develop students to become productive citizens and leaders in today's global society
- Building partnerships with faculty at Virginia Tech and other higher education institutions, who are willing to financially support and mentor undergraduates through research opportunities
- Assisting graduate students in navigating the graduate education process, especially students who are historically underrepresented in their disciplines