Multicultural Academic Opportunities Program
Message from MAOP Director regarding COVID-19:
Due to the campus restrictions put in place in response to the COVID-19 (coronavirus), MAOP will be serving you virtually. The following are ways in which MAOP will operate and continue to provide support.
- Our staff will be available via phone and email M-F from 8:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m. Please call 540-231-5023 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to set up a convenient time.
- For current participants in the various MAOP programs, 1:1 appointments and workshops will take place via Zoom. Please continue to refer to your Monday email messages for latest updates and when to schedule.
- If you have applied to participate in one or more of the MAOP programs, please check your email frequently as all correspondence and decisions will be communicated directly through this source.
If you need immediate assistance, please email email@example.com. If you have any questions or concerns, do not hesitate to contact us. Please take care of yourself.
All the Best, Monica Hunter
Supporting diverse students
Through partnerships with various academic colleges and departments at Virginia Tech, other colleges and universities, governmental entities, and various organizations, MAOP provides support for diverse students who demonstrate a clear commitment to the pursuit of academic excellence.
We assist both undergraduate and graduate students in their transition to Virginia Tech and provides academic guidance, emotional, social, and financial support until they graduate. For undergraduates interested in graduate education in the future, MAOP provides opportunities for students to engage in summer research.
MAOP is committed to:
- Creating an environment that supports and retains students to graduation from Virginia Tech
- Develop students to become productive citizens and leaders in today's global society
- Building partnerships with faculty at Virginia Tech and other higher education institutions, who are willing to financially support and mentor undergraduates through research opportunities
- Assisting graduate students in navigating the graduate education process, especially students who are historically underrepresented in their disciplines